Many of us resist hiring an accident lawyer because they do not want to appear greedy, or they are uncertain as to whether or not an accident lawyer could help them resolve their claim more effectively.
In the majority of minor accidents you will not need the services of an attorney to help you resolve the issue with your insurance company or with the insurance company of the other party. In most accidents where it is very clear who, or what, caused the accident an accident attorney will not be needed.
An accident attorney is needed under the following conditions.
- When the person who is liable for the damages is unclear then an attorney may be needed. If the liability is an issue then the other party may not be quick to accept responsibility and their insurance company may not want to pay your claim for damages.If there is an accident you should always take pictures immediately following the accident. These pictures may be vital in determining the exact cause of the accident.Write down the names, addresses, and phone numbers of everyone that is involved in the accident, and everyone that might have been a witness to the accident.
- The offer that is made by the insurance adjuster seems to be lower than what you were expecting. You have to remember that the insurance adjuster is working for the insurance company and not for you. It is their job to get you to accept the lowest possible amount for the damages you incurred. When they offer very low amounts they might not be willing to negotiate for larger amounts unless you have an accident lawyer representing you interest in the matter.
- If you have to recover lost wages, and it is not glaringly obvious what your wages would have been, then you need an accident lawyer to represent you. If you are a private contractor, or you are in business for yourself, then you may not be able to prove the amount of wages that you would have earned with the same clarity that someone who receives an hourly wage would. A legal consultant can help you to prove how much money you would have made if you had not been in the accident.
- If the length of time since the accident has been longer than twelve months then you need legal representation to speed up the process.
- If you have a serious injury then you need to get an accident lawyer to represent your interest in the claim. When you have a serious injury you need your medical bills covered, you need to be compensated for time lost from work, and for pain and suffering you had to endure. You also need to make sure that your medical expenses in the future that are a direct result of the injury sustained in the accident will be covered by the insurance settlement. You do not want to have future complications because you settled too quickly after the accident.
- If you are responsible for caring for a minor injured in the accident then you want legal representation to see to their medical needs now, and in the future.
- If the other person that was involved in the accident has you served with legal papers then you need to retain an attorney to protect your rights.
- When the liability to the accident is being disputed by the other party then you may want legal representation to help you prove who caused the accident. Sometimes it is difficult to prove who caused an accident and you might need an expert investigator to determine the facts of the accident.
- If you are uncertain as to what you need to do about the insurance claims, or the liability issue, then you should seek consultation with an attorney who can instruct you as to how to proceed.
Every accident is different. Each insurance company is different, and the circumstances that you will face because of the accident will be unique. All accident victims could benefit from expert legal advice, but any accident victim with injury, or severe property damages can definitely benefit from getting advice from a professional attorney.